Flash photography tips

Flash photography tips


Flash or flash not.
Here are some flash photography tips for you.
All camera equipment should serve a purpose.
Flash is one of them.
Flash is mainly used when there isn’t enough available light.
However, camera flash often overpowers the ambient light and lights up everything. It changes the mood of the photo. That can be good and bad. It depends on who you ask.
To me, it’s kinda like being woken up by someone who turns on the bright light in the middle of the night.
That’s why I prefer using lenses with wide apertures so that I can still take pictures in low light, to keep the integrity of the ambiance. So using on-camera flash is often my last resort.
Having said that, there is nothing wrong with flash, and you can use it to your advantage.
There are three options for flash.
1. Built-in flash
2. On-camera flash
3. Off-camera flash
Did I miss anything?
I’m mainly going to talk about the on-camera flash on this post, so I’ll briefly talk about built-in flash and off-camera flash first.
BUILT-IN FLASH
This is the flash already built into the camera. Point and shoot cameras have them, and many DSLR cameras have a built-in flash that pops up.
Using a built-in flash can be convenient because you don’t have to carry any extra equipment. It can also be useful for snapshots, but the flash can be too harsh, and the results aren’t usually very flattering.
When you must use it, here’s one tip:
Place the subject away from the wall, to eliminate shadow behind the subject. I don’t know…at least 4-6 feet?
Take a look at the photos below. You see Yoda’s shadow on the wall in the first photo, and not in the second photo. The only thing that changed was Yoda’s distance from the wall.

OFF-CAMERA FLASH
Off-camera flash is when an external flash unit, not attached to your camera, is triggered with a radio signal device such as pocket wizards, radio poppers, or a hot shoe cord.
It requires shooting in Manual Mode, more advance knowledge about photography, but the creative possibilities are endless when using an off-camera flash. It can enhance the mood of an image, and you can completely turn a boring environment into a dramatic scene.
Strobist is a popular site if you want to learn more about off-camera lighting. I personally learned everything I know about off-camera lighting from Zack Arias.
ON-CAMERA FLASH

On-camera flash photography is when you use an external shoe-mount flash, attached on top of the camera.
Just like your camera, you can use the flash in Automatic Mode, a.k.an ETTL or you can use it in Manual Mode and control the flash power.
Here some times when I personally use an on-camera flash.
- kid's birthday parties when I have to take group pictures, the indoor light is uneven or too dark.
-Casual group shots in dim wedding reception halls
-Dancing shots at weddings. But mostly in combination with an off-camera flash.
-Fill flash for portraits outdoors. If the subject face is in the shadow, or there are harsh shadows on the subject’s face, a little fill-flash will eliminate shadows and brighten up the face.
When I use an on-camera flash indoors, I bounce the flash off the ceilings and walls.
BOUNCE FLASH
The main reason to bounce the camera flash off a ceiling or a wall is to create a light source larger than the flash head.
A larger light source creates a softer light.
Bouncing the flash off of a wall also gives a different direction to the light.
So, here’s what I do when using a flash.
A. Look at the ceiling and walls around you.
Look for surfaces to bounce light off of.
How high is the ceiling, and how far are the walls?
What material are they? Mirror? Wood? Plain wall? Different materials give you different results.
What color are they? More light will bounce off a plain white wall than a dark wall, or a wall with a window with curtains that absorb light.
Anything obstructing the flash bounce? Tray ceilings or support beams will block or limit the distance the flashlight reaches.
B. Don’t place the subject too close to the wall
This is to eliminate any shadow behind the subject. 
C. A starting point for my setting
You have to start somewhere.
Camera in Manual Mode: ISO 800 1/80, f/4.0.
I general starting point for my flash power is 1/8.
However, the power setting on my flash depends on the factors I mentioned above.
Height of ceiling, my distance to a wall, and my distance to the subject, all matters.
I may lower the ISO, or the flash power if the ceiling is low, or if the wall I’m bouncing off is too close.
The idea behind not setting my ISO at 100 is that, with a higher ISO, I won’t need as much flash power. The image quality at high ISO on my Canon 5D Mark II is good, so I’m not concerned with ISO 800. At ISO 800, I’m saving flash power, and recycling power on my flash. If I’m at ISO 100, I’m going to need more flash power, and the flash may not recycle fast enough for me to take a second shot soon after the first. Also, the battery power on my flash will drain faster, and if you’re constantly using your flash at full power, the flashbulb won’t last as long.
If your camera produces grainy images at ISO 800, then start at ISO 200 or 400.
D. A starting point for your setting
If flash photography is completely new to you, try the camera in Automatic Mode. Set the ISO at anywhere between 200, 400, or even 800. Then set the flash in Automatic Mode(ETTL).
Then try any of the following steps.
E. Flash head straight up, white card halfway up
This bounces the light off the ceiling, and the white card bounces a little light to go forward, for fill light.

F. Turn the flash head, 90 degrees, with the white card still up, or directly toward the wall
The idea is, by bouncing the flashlight off the ceiling and the wall to the side of you, you’re allowing the light to hit the subject at a different angle. Straight on light, lights up everything and gives a “flat” light. Adding direction to light gives more depth and interest to the image.
The same concept is applied when taking pictures using sunlight, or window light.

G. Turn the flash head, 180 degrees, with the white card still up, or directly toward the wall behind
Use the wall behind you to create a softer light.
H. Flash head straight forward
Shoot at your own risk:) You may blind your subject. But you can’t blind Yoda.


I. Diffusers
Diffusers, such as Sto-fen Omni-Bounce or Gary Fong’s Lightsphere are used for softening the light a little. I’ve used them in the past, but I prefer not to use them anymore. I personally don’t see a dramatic benefit to using them for what I do, and I don’t want to carry around an extra piece of equipment.

FLASH GEAR
I’m using Canon 580 EX. There’s a newer version, and Canon also just announced their latest version. For how I use flash, I don’t need the latest.
If you want to get your hand on an external flash, there are third party options. I personally haven’t used it, but I’ve heard good things about Yongnuo YN flashes. If photography was just a hobby for me, I’d use those.
As for batteries, I have tried several options. Everyone seems to have different experiences with different batteries though.
Based on my experience, I love the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries.
If you want non-rechargeables, I prefer Energizer batteries over Duracell. Duracell failed me a few times by not recycling fast enough and draining too fast.
YOUR TURN
There. I hope I gave you a place to start. Now it’s your turn to go play and experiment.
I’m not claiming to be master Yoda of flash. But I shared how I use it, in hopes of helping you.
Did this help you?
As always, would love to hear any questions or thoughts.
Thank you!
Share on Google Plus

About papixelhub

Hi there, I’m Prem Amrit ! I’m an entrepreneur and digital marketing consultant from Patna, India. I founded my own digital agency, where I help SMBs leverage social media, SEO, and content marketing to grow their traffic and generate qualified leads for their business. I started Papixelhub in 2019 as a side project to document all the strategies, tools, and tactics that I was using to grow my small agency. The goal was simple: to arm other solopreneurs with all the right information they needed to launch a successful business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment