Snowflakes – iPhone Macro



Snowflakes – iPhone Macro


Have you heard of Snowflake Bentley or read the book? Wilson A. Bentley is known as the first known photographer of snowflakes. When you get a chance, read about him and I hope it inspires you like it inspired me.
Snowflakes – iPhone Macro
After the recent snow, the kids wanted to read Snowflake Bentley before bed. After reading the book we searched the web and looked at photos of snowflakes. So fascinating, and amazing!
A couple of days later, it snowed again. After being inspired by Snowflake Bentley, I went out with my gear. Since snowflakes are so small, I knew my macro lens wouldn’t get close enough for a snowflake, but I wanted to see how close it would get. Well, not close enough. I need to do some homework and figure out a way to get a closer shot with my DSLR.
However, since I’ve been playing with my Squidcam iPhone macro lens for a few months, I knew I could get a pretty nice close-up, so I put it to test. I went up to a bush to scan any loose identifiable snowflakes. I spotted a couple of them and took a handful of iPhone photos.
As you know, these snowflakes are super tiny, smaller than a sesame seed, so it took patience composing them. Some melted from my body heat once I got close with my phone. The hardest part was staying steady in order to get the focus just right without moving.


Snowflakes – iPhone Macro
Image credits: Photographs by Ben Woodworth 


The world of macro fascinates me. It’s simply mind-blowing. There’s a whole new layer of this world that we don’t see with our naked eyes. It’s humbling.
I’m also blown away by what we’re able to capture with mobile phones. In my case on this snowy day, my iPhone and a Squidcam macro lens beat out my Canon 5D Mark II and Sigma 50mm Macro lens.
Here are a couple of non-macro photos I took with my DSLR that day.

Share on Google Plus

About papixelhub

Hi there, I’m Prem Amrit ! I’m an entrepreneur and digital marketing consultant from Patna, India. I founded my own digital agency, where I help SMBs leverage social media, SEO, and content marketing to grow their traffic and generate qualified leads for their business. I started Papixelhub in 2019 as a side project to document all the strategies, tools, and tactics that I was using to grow my small agency. The goal was simple: to arm other solopreneurs with all the right information they needed to launch a successful business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment